Wednesday 27 April 2011

Problem running Webmin?

I had difficulty restarting my Webmin but I finally solved the problem after several failed attempts!
Initially, I kept going through the normal restart command


/etc/init.d/webmin restart


 and I get the message "Stopping Webmin server in /usr/share/webmin".

then I got a message saying Webmin is not running.
followed by "Starting Webmin server in /usr/share/webmin"

and I receive no further error message. Everything seemed normal until I try to log-on via the web browser but my browser timed-out each time I tried to connect to the Webmin service. I assumed Webmin was starting but I was not able to log on.

...a problem is half solved when you know the cause.
In my case, the problem occurred as a result of an improper termination of the service.

You can follow these easy steps to get Webmin running again.
Check to see if there are some remnant Webmin processes still running.

# ps auxw | grep webmin

Here is a screen shot of the result 








the highlighted number is a PID code

Kill any remnant Webmin processes using their PID codes

# kill 7759
# kill 14353
# kill 14452
.....e.t.c

Restart Webmin with the following command


# /etc/init.d/webmin start



If you have lots of processes, you might have to use some other method to kill the processes, probably similar to

#!/bin/bash
x=$(pidof webmin)

kill -9 $x




Thats it!





No comments:

Post a Comment